Saturday 20 August 2016

Meal Planning, Gumtree and Free Stuff


So, in a bid to be more organised before Dot arrives, I've been doing a Tesco order every week. I used to do one every few weeks (or few months) and just go to the local co-op every other day to get things for meals and stuff we'd run out of. That was getting quite expensive and I found I was spending around £20+ every couple of days. I was also struggling to lug it all back after popping in after work. For the last 3 weeks I've made a meal plan and done it online.
Meal plan for this week is:
Breakfast - cereal or scrambled eggs.
Bacon sandwiches on Sunday
Snacks - Tesco value cereal bars and yoghurts
Lunches - cheese or ham and coleslaw and crisps, yoghurt
Saturday - Tesco finest beef ribs in ale and chunky chips and chocolate torte dessert (2 dine for £10 offer)
Sunday - roast chicken and chorizo roasted potatoes
Monday - chicken pie and mash
Tuesday - spaghetti bolognese
Wednesday - sausages (to be bought from the butchers later in the week)
Thursday - fish cakes and bean salad
Friday - undecided!
2 dine in for £10. Going to treat myself to 1 glass of wine.



We have someone coming to look at (and hopefully buy) our old car later today. It's been off the road for months due to various problems that we have been reluctant to sort out, not knowing if any of them would actually solve the main problem, the battery dying when left for more than a day. I put it on Gumtree with a list of all its problems and hopefully someone who knows a bit about cars can make it into a lovely car again.
We'll be buying a friends car in the next couple of weeks so won't be without for much longer. Which is a nice relief considering I'll only have 8 weeks left on Tuesday!

While replying to a few silly offers for the car on Gumtree (one person offered us a rather ridiculous £100.) I had a look so see who was selling anything nearby. I noticed a space saving cot on for £0! I obviously sent them a message and they're dropping it off shortly! We're still in a 1 bed flat so need something small and I think it's the same size as the one id seen online for £60.
So far the things I've been given or bought cheap from eBay/car boot sales are:
Moses basket £0
Cot £0
Moses basket sheets £0
Hooded towels £0
Disposable newborn nappies £0
Assorted baby clothes various sizes £0
Changing mat £1
Pre-loved cloth nappies approx £50
Baby bath £5
Steriliser, bottles, dummies and Breast pump £20
Pre-loved nappies, washed and ready.

Bargain changing mat

Apologies if there is a random N somewhere on this blog. The first time I added the photos, the photo of the nappies wouldn't go where I wanted it. After deleting I was left with a random N that will not go away.
I'll get the hang of this eventually.
N
Bye bye!
A x


7 comments:

  1. Brilliant blog! Love the changing mat.
    x mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. found you via your Mum's great blog. My daughter had her first baby in Feb - and got loads of stuff via Freecycle. Hope all goes well with the last few weeks of pregnancy - and blog when you CAN not when you feel guilty, your life is about to change forever!! blessings xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. Congratulations to your daughter. I have tried freecycle in the past and haven't had much luck in our area though not since I've been pregnant so never really looked for baby stuff. I'll have to give it another look.

      Delete
  3. I also found you through your mum. Congratulations on the pregnancy, we'very road tested Dot's grandad with our kids on their site over the last few years and he passed with flying colours.

    I found when I started my family that people pass on and exchange loads if stuff. So many people are too precious (or silly) to want second hand and must spend ridiculous amounts. Make friends with other mums (especially those with kids just older than yours) and you might find yourself in a nice network of sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't understand why anyone would buy everything brand new, each to their own I guess. Luckily I'm one of the last of my friends to have children so I'm sure lots of hand me downs are coming my way.

      Delete
  4. I also found you through your mum. Congratulations on the pregnancy, we'very road tested Dot's grandad with our kids on their site over the last few years and he passed with flying colours.

    I found when I started my family that people pass on and exchange loads if stuff. So many people are too precious (or silly) to want second hand and must spend ridiculous amounts. Make friends with other mums (especially those with kids just older than yours) and you might find yourself in a nice network of sharing.

    ReplyDelete